Tuesday 22 September 2009

NaNoWriMo

I'm seriously thinking of doing it. A novel in a month. In previous years I have been ever so impressed when fellow bloggers have gone for it (and succeeded!) but I have also, I must confess, thought they must surely be a little bit mad. But this year I get it. Or at least I get why I should give it a go.

Novel #1 is still with an agent, novel #2 is, hmm, well not exactly simmering - the gas is on but I haven't chopped up half the ingredients yet and I can't find the oil. Meanwhile a slightly bizarre novel idea (in fact idea for a series of novels) has popped into my head - crime mysteries set in a world that I'm very familiar with. I think it could be fun but I'm not convinced I want to shelve #2 and spend a year of early mornings working at this new idea only to discover that actually it was a bit daft.

Sooo NaNoWriMo - I splurge it out over a month - 2,000 words a day. I like a challenge, deadlines etc and I think this one (hey lets call it novel #3) is the kind of project that will benefit from having its first draft written that way. Could be dreadful of course, but then if it is at least I will have got it out of my head so I can focus on the burning onions in novel #2

5 comments:

Karen said...

I would definitely go for it.

Like you said, it will give you a feel for whether it's likely to work, and I have to say I rather hope it does - I like the sound of it :o) (Then again, I don't know what novel 2 is about!!)

Queenie said...

If you feel in the mood, why not give it a go? You could post your progress here, we'd all cheer you on.

Mims said...

I'm trying NaNo for the first time this year as well. I'm waiting for Chris Baty's book to arrive from Amazon and I'm planning to do outlines and character profiles and all that fun stuff one uses to write a novel.

Jumbly Girl said...

Karen It will all depend on what happens with novel §2 over the next couple of weeks.I want to try and work out where i am with it and then decide whether to march onwards or have a month of an do NaNo

Queenie - If I do go for it I will definitely keep you up to dat eon my progress and any encouragement would be much appreciated

Mims - Good idea to get some prep done - I'll look out for you on Nano if/when I finally decide to take the plunge

Sherri said...

It sounds very brave and very exciting! Good luck if you go for it.